Saturday, April 10, 2010

Do you remember?

Do you remember when we used to get out a piece of notebook paper, or if we'd just had a birthday, a pretty piece of stationery, and write - with a pen! - a letter to a friend or family member? We'd find an envelope, look up their address, write it on the envelope, attach a stamp, and take it to the mailbox. A few days later it would arrive in their mailbox. I miss that. It must explain why I enjoy books of essays, or better yet, letters!

"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" and "Daddy Long Legs" are two of my favorite books. They are made up entirely of letters. I also enjoy books of essays, which are almost like letters.

In honor of a tradition that is nearly extinct, this blog post is a letter to you, my blog friends.

Hi there!

It's 6:30 on Saturday morning, and I have to leave for work at 7. I am eating my cereal while typing, and have yet to pack my lunch, so this will be short. The daffodils did get their third snowfall yesterday, but they're tougher than they look, and manage to bob back up again, with a smile on their faces.

I went to visit Mom yesterday and found her quite well. When I visited on Tuesday we spent the whole time outside in the sunshine and 82 degrees. Yesterday we watched the snow out the window and read aloud. Her memory is not good, so a book of essays is a good choice. She doesn't have to follow a plot.

Have you read any of Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's books? They're wonderful! She's the Lisa Boyer of knitting. Lisa has written two marvelous books of essays on quilting, and Stephanie is entertaining us with her insights on knitting.

One of our patients at work brought in some darling little plastic bottles with typed labels saying "stool sample". We see a lot of that in our office, as you can imagine, but these sample bottles had cute little wooden stools with four legs! They're about 3/4 of an inch across and tall, and are adorable. A little medical office humor!

We've had four out of four cars in our family in the shop in the last month. Of course we like to do our part to keep the economy going, but it's much more fun to do so via the quilt shop or yarn shop.

Hoping all is well with you and yours, and do have a delightful weekend. Imagine this arriving in your mailbox in a cheerful green envelope.

Lots of love,
Diana

3 comments:

Connie said...

I enjoyed the letter, Diana. We had pretty cold temperatures, but luckily we didn't get the snow, and today it is back up to 69 degrees and sunny! Hurray! Glad to hear your mom was doing well for your visit. Sorry about all the cars in the shop. We know how that goes here too! I hope you are enjoying your weekend too!
:-)

Suzanne said...

A very beautiful letter Diana. Take care and love to your family.

Locket Pocket said...

Letters are lovely - but I have horrible handwriting (too many years at Uni!!) and hate how it looks so I would always get half way through a letter and then give up because it looked so ugly! I think that's why I love typing so much - you can always make it neat! But it loses the personal element doesn't it?

Lucy x