Friday, April 16, 2010

Do you fly?

The last time I defied the laws of gravity and rode in a conveyance several hundred feet above the earth was in 1973. Back then you could take anything on the plane. People still smoked in planes back then, and yes, I did knit on board, using those big dangerous knitting needles, and (gasp!) scissors. You see, though I love to read, there are times when I can't. Such as when I'm defying the laws of gravity. Or when a no doubt very skillful surgeon is operating on a loved one. When I'm a bit (or a lot) uneasy I can't enjoy reading. I need to do something like knitting. Or sewing. Which both require dangerous weaponry, or at least needles and scissors.

You know and I know that a plane full of happily occupied passengers is much safer than one filled with bored and testy passengers. Knitting needles are no more dangerous than a pencil or pen, but don't say it out loud, or we may not even be able to write on the next flight.

My counted cross stitch needle isn't the least bit sharp, and I suppose I could use my teeth to cut the thread.

Well, bloggers, what do you do when you fly? We have a little fantasy of visiting the Aloha state, but we can't get there without defying gravity.


This is the stool sample I told you about. A little office humor. Cute, isn't it?

7 comments:

Lisa Boyer said...

Ugh! I know! And it's such a LONG flight. I can't read either--I'm too tense because I hate flying. I take my laptop and play Scrabble--or design quilts on EQ6 on my laptop. Crossword puzzles are good, too. It still feels like 5 hours though...

trash said...

Should this volcanic ash clear I am bound for the other side of the world in a week's time. I will be using some skinny pieces of metal to hold up my quite long hair. strangely they will be about 5inches long and 2.5 mm thick and sit beautifully with the sock wool I might just happen to accidentally have dropped into my carry-on bag.

Jodie said...

I have seen a disc-like thing that has grooves in it, that are actually for cutting...Like a notch in a coin....
I'm sure someone else will know what they are...

Suzanne said...

We just seem to eat heaps when on a plane. Allans parents live a 4 hour flight away from us but mainly the 5 of us are on board so just eat and walk up and down the plane.

Connie said...

I have only flown twice and didn't particularly like it either time. I can't read while flying. Mostly I just sat and talked to my husband and kids or tried to sleep. I was very glad when we landed.

ladydi said...

Thanks, ladies!

Lisa, I have a feeling it's 10 hours from here. It's fun to fantasize though, and we may make it yet.

Trash, that's a great idea! I hope you can pull it off. If not, perhaps your hair ornaments could be bamboo. I hope the air above clears so you get to go.

Jodie, trust you to know about a clever cutting gadget! I'll look for one in case my fantasy materializes.

AAK, Suzanne, I dare not spend 10 hours eating!! I think your airlines must be a bit friendlier than ours. I have heard that walking around is discouraged, and you can't even wait in line for the bathroom. I'm not sure how you keep from getting blood clots if you just sit for ten hours. :>}

Daisy, it sounds like we're on about the same flying schedule. I've been three times in my life.

Liz suggested an ipod of favorite music, and Sara said she loves the uninterrupted time to read. Last year I was already packing my bag I was so excited to go. Maybe it will work out this year.

Locket Pocket said...

Oh that stool sample is so funny! :o) Lucy x