Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The best book for the job.

I just discovered this book at the library. It turns out that this is one of a series covering every subject you might want to teach yourself. There are countless editions on computer use and programs to learn, as well as yoga, weight lifting, sewing and quilting, of course, and many other topics. Besides not assuming I'm a "dummy" or a "complete idiot" as some books do, it explains things so even someone completely stuck by the word "turn" can figure out what comes next. Imagine knitting along happily on the heel, using 32 stitches. Suddenly the instructions say: K18, K2tog, K1, turn. Whoa! Turn? How can I turn when I've only used 21 of my 32 stitches? Turn left? Turn right? What, what , what??? This fine book says, "turn work without finishing row". That was helpful, but Dorrit on YouTube was even more helpful. She said, "Turn the work right around without finishing the row," and did so while demonstrating. If the book had gone on to say, "...so the needle that was in your left hand is now in your right hand and vice versa," I would really have gotten it. Of course I should have just taken a sock class, but I don't know of a place closer than 12 miles away that teaches sock knitting. After work I'm just too tired to drive 12 miles, knit for two hours, and drive 12 miles home.
See?? I have a successfully turned heel. My next challenge will be to graft the toe.

My apologies to those of you not the least bit interested in knitting. I wasn't either until a few months ago. It's funny how it sneaks up on you. It was those January snowmen that got me hooked. :>}

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

It's so amazing what we can learn on the net these days. Your sock looks good but I am like you after a day of work and kids I really dont want to go to a class to learn so happily sit at the computer instead of watching TV to learn what I need to know.

Locket Pocket said...

You are doing brilliantly! And once the sock-knitting bug has bitten you never get away from it!!! ;o) Lucy x

Connie said...

Hurray for a successful heel! :D

Minerva said...

congratulations!! I have turned many a heel. I took a class to learn sock knitting. I admire you for forging on without a class! Good work!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I think your doing swell , the sock is beautiful and I'm proud of your work! And I love hearing about it!..not everyone is able to jump right in and make a sock! sometimes it takes many YEARS! and you did it lickity split..A sock class isn't bad..you would learn something new (every time).because everyone has different ideas! so next time go...or to your LYS for the freebie classes...mingle with other knitters it's always profitablemm
Ginny

ladydi said...

You gals are priceless treasures! Thank you for your kind comments. This whole knitting adventure has been fun.

Heckety said...

I do so agree with you on precice instructions! The one which ALWAYS gets me is the cookery books which tell you to 'bake until done'...how baked is done? Is pale brown done? is black through done? Is soggy in the middle done?

Congratulations on the heel turned! I gave up knitting socks because of not understanding the patterns when it go to the heel- but grafting toes? I thought you grafted roses? or fruit trees? But TOES? Oh I forgot, you work in a surgery, don't you! Of course you graft toes!!!!

Thank you for finding me again- I completely forgot that our emails aren't compatible- I'm very sorry. I'm working my wya down my list but not doing very well re-connecting with people, its been a headcase of a fortnight.
I wonder if this email would behave for you? nellmose@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I always wished I could knit! Your "assistant" looks very much like my Magic!