Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Whooosh!

Whoosh! Where is the summer going? Instead of doing any creating this week, I have been doing alterations for friends at work. Perhaps you remember a post several months ago when I asked how to say no to these requests. I still haven't figured it out, and I really do like to help my friends (sort of). This week I have shortened three skirts, two of them pleated, and one a dizzying plaid. I also shortened three pairs of pants and shortened the sleeves on one jacket.

Even though it is not my favorite kind of sewing, nothing beats the feeling of delight I get when I have the whole pile finished. Yay!

We have had the most glorious weather complete with blue sky, puffy white clouds, and a pleasant breeze. I was going to show you some more flower photos, but they look a lot like all the other flower photos I have shown you, so I decided not to bore you with them.

We have a friendly orb weaver residing just outside our front window. Every night he (or she, how can you tell?) spins the most intricate web, with the lines so close together, maybe 1/4 of an inch. We love to watch him (or her) at work. By the next morning the web is gone except for one central line, and the spider is doing whatever he does all day. By evening he is back to his weaving project. The morning glories have reached his territory, and we do wonder how much of a disturbance winding vines are to an orb weaver.

I hope you have read "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White. If you have, you will feel quite friendly toward this large (as spiders go) brown eight legged creature.

I wish you the very best on this most glorious day.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love Charlottes Web it was such a lovely story and pigs and spiders have been a favourite ever sense.
It is hard to say no to people sometimes, I often have this happen and then realise I have taken on more than I should. I have learnt to say I cant do that at the moment and left it at that. Not making an excuse, not offering to do it another time. My answer goes like this sorry I would like to but I cant. Its hard the 1st time but you start to get used to it.(Sometimes I mess up)
I still sometimes say yes when I should of said no, but it is a nice feeling completing something for friends.

ladydi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tine said...

I love Carlottes Web, but I still don't like spiders :-( Not at all :-(

I remember your post about saying no to friends, and I see how it's close to impossible to start saying no all of a sudden.
It is nice to do things for friends, and it is even nicer when you feel like its your choice to do it. I don't know what you should do about it. I told Charles about your dilemma, and he says, that I am not allowed to start doing alterations for friends. LOL!
So if nothing else, you blogging about your troubles is keeping me from getting into a similar situation. And I thank you for that!

Connie said...

Diana you are very generous to do these alterations for your friends, but it can come to a point where they take advantage of your good nature. Wow, that seems like a lot of sewing to do for other people. AND pleats!---those take twice as long to hem. And plaids would drive my eyes crazy. Anyway, it is very kind of you to help them out, but you do have the right to say no to them. Next time someone asks, you could say something like, "Well, you know I have done that sort of thing in the past, but I have so many other projects I am working on right now that I simply don't have time to take on anything new." Your friends may be surprised, but if they are really your friends, they will understand. I agree with Suzanne, it is ok to say no if it is something you really don't want to do or don't have time to do it.

Enjoy the beautiful days we have left. Summer has gone by so quickly!