Saturday, March 3, 2012

Life happens

It's been an emotional week for our family. Larry's dad died last Saturday. We're thankful that he's no longer distressed and in pain, but we miss his smile and humorous ways.The memorial service was comforting and very nice.
Larry's mom had her hip operated on yesterday, for the third time in four years. We're hoping this will be the charm that allows her to walk without pain.

She is at the Cleveland Clinic's main campus, which is a most remarkable place. I had never been there before yesterday, and was astonished by the massive size of one building covering several city blocks. They actually refer to it as many buildings (A through at least P) but since they're all under one roof I think of it as one really really big building.

Larry and I were amused by the signs: "Free exercise equipment - use the stairs." We walked up numerous flights to get to the rooftop pavilion where a yoga class was offered. When we finally made it to the top, the door was locked, so we walked down the stairs, and took the elevator back up. LOL!

We sat with Betty from our arrival time at 8:00 A.M. until she was finally taken the the operating room at 5:00 P.M. Let me tell you, I was glad to have my knitting!

She is doing well, and will go to the same place where my mom lives for her rehabilitation. She hopes to be able to go back home in a few weeks, once the bone graft becomes a nice sturdy part of the joint.

Wishing the best to you.


Daisy said...

Diana I'm so sorry about the passing of Larry's Dad. I've been thinking of you and your family and keeping you in my prayers. I hope Larry's mom will heal quickly and soon be pain-free. You've had a difficult week. I hope next week is a better one. Hugs to you.

Suzanne said...

Hi Diana sorry to hear the loss of your father in law. Hope all improves for your family and your mother in law.
Big Hugs Suzanne.

Jodie said...

Diana, sorry to hear of your and Larry's loss. I hope your mother-in-law recovers well. Trying times indeed.

ladydi said...

Thank you, Daisy. We're learning the wisdom of taking one day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time works better.

Thank you, Suzanne. We're thankful Larry's dad is pain free now.

Thank you, Jodie. Deep breath. And another. We'll make it.

Heckety said...

Been thinking about you this week and wondering how you were getting on. Its tough on Larry's Mom to be going through all this at the same time.
The flowers are just lovely. I think funerals can actually be an enormous blessing as well as very sad. Here they are a real community affair and one has a great sense of celebration and gratitude for the life lived. Well that's my experience.
I'll be thinking of you anyhow as you travel through these weeks.

ladydi said...

Heather, you are so right. Betty felt truly blessed as friend after friend at the service assured her they would be praying for her during surgery. The one it is hardest on is Larry. He has no brothers or sisters, and though we are helping all we can, everything is really on his shoulders. Today we stayed home and had a complete day of rest, a thing we rarely do.