Sunday, October 17, 2010

Paper Piecing

Someday I'd like to make this cornucopia a bit larger. It contains 36 pieces (or maybe 37) and is 9 by 12 centimeters (3 1/2 by 4 3/4 inches). The apple leaf is about 1/4". I must say I was pleased to have some grape fabric on hand!
Mr. Turkey still needs someone to sew on his beady little eye.
I probably should have chosen a pattern with larger pieces for my first paper piecing project. The turkey alone has 37 pieces, and it only measures 2 3/4" by 5 3/4" .
I rarely use patterns, and when I do, I don't usually follow the color guides. But this wall hanging came out looking much like the pattern!
This is the back. Removing the tissue paper after it had been stitched down in so many places was a royal pain. (so I left some of it - my bad.)
This gives you an idea of the process. I had to use fabric pieces much larger than the finished piece, such as the apple stem, and it seemed like an awful waste of fabric. It is not a method I'm likely to try again anytime soon, but it was kind of fun. Sort of like doing a jigsaw puzzle.

I hope you have a lovely weekend.

6 comments:

Tine said...

You did a fantastic job! Your quilt is wonderful!
I know what you mean about the waste of fabric, that is my main problem with paperpiecing too. But it is fun, and when the result is stunning like yours, it certainly is worth it!

ladydi said...

Thank you, Tine, what a nice thing to say! I'm going to hang it up at work in the spot where the vase of pansies wall hanging has been for the last several months.

Connie said...

I've never heard of this type of quilting, Diana, but I think yours turned out great! Looks like a lot of detail and tiny pieces to work with. I think it will look great as a fall decoration at your office.

ladydi said...

Thank you, Daisy! It does make the office feel like home with my - ahem - five wall hangings strategically placed here and there. (so it doesn't look like a craft show!)

Suzanne said...

It looks fantatic Diana and I just so love those colours.
Sometimes I think patterns are very complicated.

ladydi said...

Thank you, Suzanne! It certainly does brighten up the wall at work. This pattern was amazing with all those teeny tiny little pieces, each separate. I can't imagine designing such a thing, but I'm glad someone else did. If I use that method again, I'm going to find a pattern with larger pieces!