Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Miss Molly gets her cardigan, and a gift survey

Miss Molly finally got her cardigan. She is visiting at the assisted living facility where my mom lives, and is seated in a darling chair just her size, right beside the front door. With the door opening and closing all the time, she was getting a little chilly now that it's November. She likes to be in the thick of things, and needed her cardigan to keep warm!This morning I made some apple cobbler using the useful casserole dish pictured below. It came in a set of three, nesting in graduated sizes, and Larry and I got two sets for wedding presents in 1980. It made me think of gifts we've given and received over the years. When I opened the second box I did wonder what on earth I would do with two sets. Let me tell you, a week has not gone by in the last 29 years that I have not used at least one of these dishes.

Even though they may not have been my favorite wedding gift at the time, they have served us better than many of the others. Another favorite that is still in use is the Fannie Farmer cookbook my sister, Sara, gave us. We're still using the gorgeous green glass salad bowls my brother, Peter, gave us, and the outdoor cooking utensils from my sister, Janet.

And do you see the pretty ceramic burner covers? My mother-in-law, Betty, gave us those several years ago. They're wonderful, and I don't know how we ever managed without them.


What was your favorite present, wedding or otherwise? What has lasted the longest? My favorite present has to be my sewing machine! My parents gave it to me for high school graduation in 1974, and here I am still using it nearly every day.

I used to always give towels for wedding presents because that was my favorite to receive back in 1980. You can never have too many towels. Then I realized that they wear out. After ten years of frequent use you have a lot of stringy rags to wash the car with. I do like gifts that last longer than that, so you can remember the occasion and the giver many years later.

And speaking of gifts, of course the best gifts of all are God's love for us, and a loving family, which I am very blessed to be a part of.

4 comments:

Connie said...

Miss Molly looks quite cozy in her cardigan. Very cute! My aunt and uncle gave me a set of French white corning ware baking dishes for a wedding gift that I use constantly, and I always think of them when I use them.

Jodie said...

Diana, she looks so happy there...surely all the residents muct love her!

Suzanne said...

I love the idea of Miss Molly sitting at the aged care facility in her cardigan.
I remember some casserole dishes similar to those that mum has and I had the covers on my old stove.
Now towels are always something I like to receive and give. The only problem is 2 years in a row I gave my mum the same set for her birthday and only realised after giving her the 2nd set. oops.

Heckety said...

Isn't it odd how our perceptions of gifts change? Useful versus pretty, or trendy versus unbreakable? And what may start as a favourite sometimes doesn't survive the test of time? You've really made me think now!
And I love Molly and her cardi! When my sister was very little she used to think cardigan was actually 'cardi on' as in I'll put my 'cardi on'! It remains a family joke!