Saturday, May 14, 2011

Remember Bobby?

In January 2009 so many very talented people sold their marvelous crafts for the Australian bush fire relief fund. I bought Bobby from the very talented Rachel Slater and told myself that someday I would learn how to do something like that.

Rachel's Bobby is on the right. We used the same pattern, but different weights of yarn and sizes of needles, which is why mine came out so much larger. The pattern said to use "oddments" of yarn, and I had no gray oddments, so I used gold for the buckle, buttons, and badge. Yarns and needles have different definitions in different countries, which makes it a bit confusing when the internet makes it so easy to shop internationally. Oh, but I am so glad it does! Fifteen years ago I wouldn't have had any idea how to search for a pattern for an English Bobby. Thanks to Google and Jean Greenhowe I was able to find the pattern right away.


The next Bobby I make will be the smaller size, but I am very pleased with my first attempt. It's not as cute as Rachel's, and the head looks kind of blobby, but I find the badge on his hat very charming.

My reintroduction to knitting started in January 2010 and I've enjoyed it ever so much. I have a lot of people to thank for this, starting with my mom who first taught me how to knit when I was seven years old. Suzanne and her mum sparked my interest when they sent me an adorable Aussie koala, baby sweater and booties, and darling doll, all knitted by Sue's mum. Then there were all the blogs with hand knit socks - Lucy Locket is an amazing knitter! And Lisa Boyer, quilter extraordinaire, was knitting socks, mittens, hats, and sweaters when she wasn't quilting. Ginny has made the most gorgeous shawls you've ever seen. Her daughters fight over who gets to wear them.


I found myself needing a quiet portable project for visiting my mom, and the knitting began. First the snowmen, then a pig, a cat, and two bunnies. I tried a hat; the first time something had to be a particular size. Then the socks - seven pairs! Now Bobby, and then back to more socks. My first sweater is going to be doll sized. This is fun!


7 comments:

Tine said...

You have really mastered the fine art of knitting! You are doing wonderful. Your Bobby looks so cute - I can't imagine doing something like that! Very cool :)

ladydi said...

Thank you, Tine! If I can knit Bobby, you certainly can. It's all easy knitting one step at a time. The only thing that gave me pause was the badge on the helmet. I had a second try and surprised myself at how easy it actually was.

Connie said...

He's really cute, Diana. You did a great job with the pattern. It sounds like you are having lots of fun with your rediscovered hobby. :)

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Golly Gee! The knitting bug has bit you hard :o) I think your Bobby is special :o) his head is bigger because he is smarter :o) .Knitting is an enjoyable hobby and will take you far..into more yarns and needles ;o) it's also nice to have others join in with the fun...

Lisa Boyer said...

Always happy to help someone form a new addiction...ha! Sorry...sort of...NOT!

You're making such wonderful stuff, Diana. Glad to see you enjoying it so much!

Suzanne said...

Your Bobby looks so good and I smile every time I see your knitting. Just as you are inspired to knit I have been inspired to patchwork and sew by you yourself and Tine and many of the other blogs around.
Enjoy...

ladydi said...

Thank you, Daisy! Yes, it's lots of fun, and has completely changed my outlook on waiting - as long as I can take my knitting.

Miss Ginny, you are so funny! His head is bigger because he's smarter - ha! You're right about the yarn and needles. Every time I start a different project I need a different size of needles. That's partly why I made so many snowmen and socks. I already had the size I needed. :>}

Lisa, I'm not nearly as brave as you are with your cable sweater and monkey socks, and those lovely hats and mittens with fancy designs. I may get there someday in the distant future. ;0P

Suzanne, Blogger has been good to all of us - what a great idea someone had. I've loved meeting people from all over the world, and learning about different cultures. (Ahem, like Aussies that plan a trip to the beach on Christmas!)