Monday, June 4, 2012

A Cautionary Tale

I was just visiting The Yarn Harlot's blog post about procrastinating.  People commented to sympathize and encourage, and at least two people suggested she start the laundry and then go for a bike ride.  

Red Flag!

PLEASE do not ever start your washer, dryer, dishwasher, or other appliance and then leave the house.  One day I just ran across the street for five minutes to deliver dinner to a neighbor, and came home to a house full of smoke.  Our dryer malfunctioned, and if I'd been another five minutes the dryer would have been in flames. 

I know people who haven't been as fortunate, and lost their homes (at least temporarily) to a fire started by an untended appliance.   Yes, it is tempting to just let the laundry do itself while  you run some errands,  but I promise you it is not a good idea. 


3 comments:

Connie said...

Good advice. I have heard of others who have had things like this happen too--dishwashers leaking water all over the floor or clothes dryers catching on fire. You never know when something is going to go wrong.

Suzanne said...

Wise words of wisdom, I remember once when a washing machine malfunction caused someones house to catch on fire.

Heckety said...

One hears so many stories of this sort of thing happening and yet people still think 'It won't happen to me'. My Mom reminded me of this when we returned to Ireland to live in 2000 as I'd lived for the previous 15 years without appliances. A needed reminder, especially as we got about all of our white goods second hand and you never know what will go wrong.